Saturday, December 17, 2011

Dear Emmie

Dear Emmie,

Today you are TWO YEARS OLD! It's hard to belive that you have been with us for two whole years. I am just overwhelmed at that thought (in a good way!).
I remember when your dad and I went to the hospital the night before you were born we were sooo nervous. Suddenly this was REAL. For me at least, the nerves went away until it was time to push and then I got really nervous again...this was REALLY REAL. And then you were here and everything was perfect. I thought I'd be having this little 6ish pound baby and instead I got a big cheeked 8lb baby who was beautiful and healthy and everything I could have hoped for.



I think when you turned one I thought "ok, you're one, we made it through the first year...hoorah for us!" and now, after two years I look at you and think how blessed I am and how you are such an important part of my life and I really can't imagine my life without you (even though only two short years ago I couldn't imagine life with a baby!). The first year was all about developmental milestones...you learned to roll, sit up, crawl, sleep through the night, eat food, crawl, stand up, walk, say a few words, etc. I feel like your second year has been all about watching your personality develop. You've learned how to speak in sentences and you say the funniest things! You've recently started singing lots of songs and I love that you know the first two lines of Amazing Grace (and you make up the rest of it!). You've started learning your ABCs and you can count to 10 (plus or minus 4 and 5). I love watching you interact with other children,  you are so sweet and caring (most of the time) and are generally willing to share and take turns. I love that even though you're very independent  you still want to come sit on the couch and cuddle under a blanket and read a book with me. I love watching you discover something new and exciting. You truely love life and it's so much fun to see the world through your eyes. I've loved watching you develop interests. You've always loved to read and do puzzles but now you love to take care of your baby dolls, you like to go to the grocery store, you love to cook and clean (definitely didn't get the cleaning gene from me!). You are very independent and you love when you do something helpful and we praise you for it. I've loved watching you interact with your sister. I wish we had video taped you meeting Ellie for the first time because you reacted like we had just give you the best present imaginable, and I hope you always feel that way about your sister. You are (usually) so sweet to her and if Ellie is crying your run get her pacifier or a blanket or her llama...anything to help her feel better! You love to play with her and if one of you is laughing the other one will quickly join in! Speaking of siblings, you and Franklin seem to have recently reached an understanding regarding boundaries. You don't try to pet him and he'll let you get within arms reach. You've been buying his love since you were old enough to throw him food from your plate and it has finally paid off.
This past year hasn't been all roses as we've dealt with the terrible twos but I think we've weathered them pretty well and you're really a pretty agreeable child the majority of the time and I love that I get to hang out with you!
I'm so glad that God chose me to be your mom. I thank Him every day for you (even the bad days when I wonder if they have boarding school for toddlers...haha). My greatest wish is for you to never remember a time when you didn't know Jesus as your Saviour. I hope that in those rough teenage years (and after them as well!) you have the faith of Mary who was just a teenager when she had Jesus and had faith that God was in control of her life even in the crazy circumstance she found herself in! I love that last night when I went to check on you before I went to bed you were sleeping with your Bible open beside you. I hope you will always keep God's word so close to you.
Emmie, I love this journey we're taking together and I can't wait to see what the next year has in store for us!
 
Love, Mom

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Livin' might mean takin' chances, but they're worth takin'
Lovin' might be a mistake, but it's worth makin'
Don't let some Hellbent heart leave you bitter
When you come close to sellin' out, reconsider
Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
-Lee Ann Womack

No comments:

Post a Comment