Thursday, December 17, 2015

Dear Emmie


Dear Emmie,

It's hard to believe that I'm already writing your SIX year old letter. It truly feels like you were just born. I had no idea how much having you would change my life. You and I have our ups and downs but at the end of the day when you cuddle up to me on the couch to read your book my heart just melts.

You are growing up so fast. When I got your school pictures this year I couldn't believe how grown up you looked. It broke my heart a little. And then you lost your tooth and my heart really hurt for how fast you're growing up. Sometimes I feel like I don't get much time with you. You're in school all day and I work on Saturdays and we have church on Sunday. I treasure any one on one time we get. I love when you want to run errands with me on Sundays or when just the two of us go for a walk and you slip your little hand in mine while we walk.

You've had such a big year this year. You had your adenoids out and tubes put in and endured many many hearing tests without ever complaining. You became a very independent swimmer and braved the diving board (I was so proud of you when you finally jumped off!).  You started kindergarten, became a big sister for the third time, and lost your first tooth!

Let's talk about kindergarten. You don't do change very well so I was sure there would be many meltdowns the first few weeks of kindergarten but you amazed me! You absolutely loved kindergarten and jumped right in and made lots of new friends. You handled the changes and the longer day amazingly well which was a huge relief to me! I am so proud of all the things you've learned since you turned 5. You can count past 100 (you usually choose to stop around 120) with very little assistance, you've learned about graphs, you've learned about the parts of a story and can pick out the theme. You are learning to tell time which makes me happy because we worked so, so hard on that this summer (word of advice: don't EVER try and teach your kids to tell time...just get them a digital watch..haha!). You have great handwriting and while some of the letters can trick you (lowercase p,b,d, and y are especially tricky for you) you can usually figure out your mistake quickly and fix it. Probably the most exciting thing for me this year is that you are now READING. I love books so much and could sit and read for days on end and I hope that you will also have this passion for reading. Your teachers always tell me how much they love having you in class and that you're very sweet and you're a very conscientious student. I tell you all the time that while school is important and learning is important, the most important thing to us is that you treat others kindly and lovingly and show respect to others.

When you're not at school you love to dance (your're taking ballet and tap right now and are doing a great job which is amazing since you can't walk across the kitchen without falling down), play outside, draw,  play with your sisters, and sing in cherub choir. You are an AMAZING artist. I am always so impressed with your drawings as they are generally better than anything I could do!

Emmie, you have a BIG personality. You are super dramatic and you feel things so strongly and then let everyone around you know exactly how you feel. This can lead to many trying moments for me and you but I will say I definitely feel like this year the dramatics have lessened a tiny bit. You are very social and want to be friends with everyone. You also know everything about everyone. I get a daily report on what color lighthouse everyone else in your class got.

Emerson Jane if I could say one thing about you that makes me so proud it would be what a good helper you are. Sometimes I feel like I ask you to do SO much to help out and 99% of the time you do it without complaining. You just love to help! Not too long ago you got so upset because I wouldn't let you help dust! You are such a big help with your siblings and for that I am so grateful. You are always willing to help unbuckle people in the car, hold a hand when we're in a parking lot, carry Ruthie's backpack, or entertain JP (one of your favorite ways to help!). I am so thankful that God gave you the gift of being a helper and I know you will be a blessing to many people as you go throughout life. Sometimes I like to imagine how you and your siblings will interact as you get older and I'm pretty sure that you will be one they call when they need something done. When they're overwhelmed and feel like they're drowning in "tasks" you will be the one who's there to help them mark things off their list (because a list is a necessity for my Type A helper!). I am so glad that God gave you this gift and I love that you embrace it fully!

Emmie, you are tender hearted (you cried more than Ellie when she fell out of the bunk bed and fractured her wrist) and oh so loving. You have a hug for everyone and I love that you want to hold my hand still. I know a day will come when you're too "cool" to give me hugs, snuggle in my lap, or hold my hand but I am oh so glad that day is not here yet.

Emmie, always remember to be YOU. Remember to trust in God. Remember that your family will always be here for you and we will always love you no matter what.

I hope this year is not quite so eventful as the past year and I can't wait to see how you grow and change (but please tell your legs to stop growing quite so much...I can't keep buying you new pants every week!).

I love you Emmie J!!

Love,
Mommy


newborn


1 year old


2 years old


3 years old


4 years old


5 years old



No comments:

Post a Comment