Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Potty Training

So I feel like I've written this post already but I can't find it so forgive me if this is the second time you're reading it! Just blame it on Baby Brain!
Emmie has been sooo ready to be potty trained. She would often go to the potty at bathtime and around her birthday randomly started telling us during the day when she needed to go and would go in the potty. We were busy with birthday and Christmas and then in mid January we went to the mountains but we're finally home and settled for a bit so two weeks ago we tossed the diapers (aka I hid them in Ellie's closet) and Emmie started wearing panties all the time. She had a few accidents at the beginning but after the third day hasn't really had ANY peeing accidents while she's been awake (every once in awhile she doesn't get her pants pulled down fast enough and has a little accident but that's pretty rare). I was going to put her in pullups for naptime and bedtime but the first day when I went to put a pullup on her at naptime she pitched a fit...when I said no diapers she took it to heart! So she's been wearing panties at naptime and every once in a while she has an accident...usually when she's sleeping really hard...but most of the time she just plays in her crib and doesn't nap so she just calls me if she needs to get up and go potty. The first night Paul went to go put a pullup on her at bedtime she got really upset (we called them nighttime panties hoping that would help but she's smarter than that!). She's so young and still in her crib so I was sure she would have an accident every night and I didn't want her to feel like she'd failed so we talked her into wearing a pullup with panties over it...pretty funny but it makes her happy! She's actually done really well at night and most mornings her pullup is dry. I was pretty impressed the other night when Emmie woke up at 4am (which she never does so I hustled into her room to see what was wrong) and she told me she needed to go potty. She got up, went to the potty, and went back to bed!
Overall Emmie has done so well and I only hope Ellie is as easy to potty train. I told someone that I wasn't so much potty training Emmie as I was breaking the habit of the diaper. She already knew when she needed to go, I just had to remind her that she didn't have a diaper on. So every 15-20min for about a week I would ask her if she needed to go potty. My independent child would almost always say no and then if she did in fact need to go she would tell me a few minutes later that she needed to go...she wanted it to be her idea! She's been so good about telling me when we're out and about that she needs to go. She's quite familiar with the Publix bathroom..haha. She doesn't like to go in many public bathrooms (not even the one at My Gym...she does however seem to have a certain affinity for the Publix one) but will use them if necessary. She's gotten pretty good at holding it until we get home though...whatever works!
Everything hasn't been smooth sailing though. We've been having serious issues with her pooping. I was prepared for this because I'm pretty sure every child has difficulty in the poop department. For awhile Emmie would just hold her poop and then go in her panties, often at naptime. Then she got to where she would just go in her panties on a pretty regular basis. Finally on Sunday I told her she was not allowed to poop in her panties and she HAD to go in the potty. So she held it all day Sunday and finally last night after her bath she pooped in the potty...YAY!  I WAS ECSTATIC...Emmie was pretty pround of herself too! She didn't go at all today but I'm hoping we've cleared that hurdle...we'll see but even if it's still an issue at least we're making progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment