Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Round Two...and hoping there's not a round 3!

Yesterday afternoon Emmie woke up from her nap with a really tight cough and this morning she woke up with puffy, weeping eyes and the same cough. She also has only had a few bites of food today (and if you've seen Emmie you know she loves to eat!) and only a cup or two of water (she generally loves her water!). It was really quite pitiful so I took her to the doctor this afternoon (mind you I was just there with Ellie yesterday morning...the receptionist greeted me like we were old friends when I walked in). Her throat was really red with some white spots but her strep was negative. While we were waiting on the strep test results they gave her a breathing treatment. As soon as they turned on the machine Emmie was out...you can tell she's used to sleeping with a white noise machine! The poor baby slept through us taking the mask off and the doctor coming back in and listening to her lungs and then talking to me. At that point we were just going to do breathing treatments at home but then when we went to leave and she woke up she coughed and when the doctor heard her cough (because of course she didn't cough at all when he was in the room) he put her on steroids too. So we left with the diagnoses of bronchitis/croup from a viral illness (because she hadn't run any fevers). I pulled her out of the car at 5:30 (the doctor's office closes at 5) and she was burning up...her tempature was 101.2 :( So I guess we'll see what her temperature does overnight and tomorrow morning. I'm hoping if she keeps running the fevers that we can get antibiotics called in and not have to go back to the doctor but we'll see. Even better would be if she was just so rundown after not having a good nap and all the events of the afternoon that it was just a little viral fever and this was the only one. I did manage to get 2 all fruit popsicles into her this evening...I had bought them when Ellie was sick and then promptly forgot that I had them. I love them because they are fruit, water, and a little juice so they don't have any of the added sugar that most popsicles have.
I must say that I was soooo thankful that Clara was able to keep Ellie while I took Emmie to the doctor. Emmie was so pitiful she just wanted to be held and I just think it would have been next to impossible to keep Ellie happy while soothing Emmie. I am also very thankful that Ellie is feeling much better today so she's been pretty content to play by herself while I snuggle with Emmie.
We did have a shining moment today...Ellie started cruising (for you non-moms cruising is when they hold on to an object such as a table or the couch and walk). Emmie was laying on the couch and I had moved the coffee table closer so that Emmie could reach her water and Ellie pulled up with one hand on the coffee table and one hand on the couch and walked the length of the coffee table...yay!!!
Bedtime took a little longer than normal today with two children needing breathing treatments and having to get everyone their appropriate medicine and I was very glad that Paul was home to help! Tomorrow the only thing on our schedule is a haircut for Franklin so this crew will be hanging out at home trying to recover!

No comments:

Post a Comment