Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Dear Ruthie

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, shoes, child and outdoor
Dear Ruthie,

Wow! I don't even know where to start describing you. Generally I tell people that your hair matches your personality and I think that's a pretty accurate description of who you are!

You are strong willed and determined and snugly and smart and a helper and a problem solver and you have definite opinions (about pretty much everything) and this year you have definitely been a 2 year old. When you put your foot down about something you don't budge. It has caused many a difficult moment between us. Sometimes though this works in your favor.

For instance, in February this year you decided one day while I was changing your diaper that you were NOT a baby and you were not going to wear a diaper anymore. You were so determined to be a big girl and because of that you were SO easy to potty train! I hadn't planned on potty training you that early but you made it clear that you had a different plan than me (and I sure wasn't going to argue about one less diaper to change!).

You have definitely been a two year old this year. It has often been rough. There is much screaming and indecisiveness and a definite inability to make up your mind. Sometimes I just feel defeated at the end of the day. Then you curl up next to me and I remember that this too shall pass and it's ok. Also, if you want to skip being a threenager that's ok with me!

Ruthie you are such a good big sister and I have loved watching you grow into the role this year. You are always looking out for JP. When we got to the Y they always tell me what a good big sister you are and how attentive you are to JP. They say if he fusses at all you are right there figuring out what he needs and giving him hugs. It's not always pretty. You and JP did have a difficult time when he first started wanting to play with you. He always wanted the toy you had and to be right in the middle of what you were doing. But y'all worked it out and you play SO well together now! I love the sound of the two of you laughing together.

You still suck on your fingers and drag around your (dirty, nasty, stained) pillow and two Aden and Anais blankets. I tried getting you a new pillowcase for Christmas but you like the well loved one. We are working on getting you to only suck on your fingers at night. I think I may be a little sad when you stop sucking on your fingers. Most of me will be glad but part of me will be sad as it's a step towards being more grown up and just another reminder that you are no longer a baby.

Ruthie you are my teeny tiny girl. You had a rough start to the year last year, getting both pneumonia and a stomach virus in the first two months. In the end you lost 20% of your body weight but we have FINALLY gained it back and then some! However, as tiny as you are you are TOUGH. You go full steam ahead. You are always covered in bruises (the curse of having no extra baby fat to cushion the tumbles). You are so tough though as you take some big tumbles and just get up and keep going. This year you hit your chin in the bathtub and had to have it glued back together. You were upset at first because it hurt but you really didn't cry too long and you were so brave while the doctor was fixing it. Through all the flare ups with your eczema and all your ear infections (yay for getting tubes next week!) you rarely complain. I think you're just so used to being uncomfortable and that makes me so sad for you. At the same time I am very excited for you this year as you experience life without ear infections and with your eczema under control.

Ruthie you LOVE your big sisters. As the year has gone on you've been more and more able to really play their imaginative games with them. You especially love to play baby dolls with them. You are so happy when it's time to pick them up from school. You love that Emmie can read books to you now. You love to snuggle with your sisters and often will sleep all night in one of their beds. Today I looked over while you were watching TV with them and you and Ellie were curled up together. It absolutely melted my heart. In everything you just want to be doing what the big girls are doing. Because of this you are so brave and often will do things that most kids your age won't do. You took swim lessons this summer. You had spent the month before watching the big girls take swim lessons and were so sad that you didn't get to take lessons. So when your turn came you did AMAZING! You cried some the first day but after that you were fabulous. The other parents were quite impressed with how well you did!

It's not often that you will snuggle with me (although you do love to give quick hugs!) so I take advantage of the times you will let me. You love to nap in my bed with me and I love this sweet time with you when we read books and cuddle.

Ruthie you are my problem solver. If you need something you just figure out a way to get it!  I look forward to seeing where this trait takes you in life!

Ruthie I think my favorite memory of you was when we brought you home from the hospital and set your carrier on the floor and your sisters and Franklin were playing and going in and out of your line of sight and being loud and wild and your eyes just lit up. At just one day old you were finding joy in the people around you and you definitely wanted to be a part of the craziness. Your eyes sparkle and I know that it is a sparkle of mischief and fun and will keep us on our toes! I hope you always keep your sense of adventure and joy and your excitement in everything you do.

I love you Roo-Roo!



2013

Image may contain: 1 person, baby
2014

Image may contain: 1 person, eating, child, indoor and closeup
2015

No comments:

Post a Comment