Friday, June 17, 2016

Reading, Reading, Reading

A few times a week during the summer I work on writing, math, and reading with the girls (and when my new Usborne books about famous artists gets here we'll also add in a craft/art history element...I'm SO excited,,,it shipped today!).

Today we worked on reading. Emmie was working on a program on her ipad and I sat down with Ellie to work on her ipad. A few years back I got a free Hooked on Phonics Classroom edition app during teacher appreciation week and it's so great for working on beginning reading. I knew Ellie knew the word cat so I thought I'd see if she could read the first Hooked on Phonics book which is all "-at" words. Well she flew right through it. And the "-an" words. Now I knew she had been playing with the app so I figured she had just been listening to them over and over. So we switched to Emmie's school reading program and I pulled up one of the early books that I thought she'd at least know a few words in...well 4 books later and she was still going strong! There were some words she didn't know but I was VERY impressed with how much she did know! She'll be 5 in July and already reading!


It's funny how different my girls are. Emmie was 5 1/2 when she started kindergarten and was only reading a few words and just didn't care at all about learning to read. I didn't push it, figuring she'd learn when she was ready. She really took off right before she turned 6 and within a few weeks went from reading a few words to reading chapter books! I think she never realized before what reading really meant but once she realized that she would be able to read her books to herself she couldn't learn fast enough! Ellie meanwhile has been wanting to read so badly...I think because she sees Emmie reading and so she understands what reading entails.


I am so proud of both of my little readers and I am so happy that they love books as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment