Monday, August 17, 2015

Ellie's arm

Today was quite the day for us. We spent from 9:15-2:45 in various doctor's offices. It was juuuuust delightful.
Last night Ellie fell out of the top bunk (Emmie's bed). She was upset of course and immediately said her left wrist hurt. I got her calmed down and was able to move her wrist around without her saying it hurt and there wasn't any swelling so I figured it was just sore and put her back to bed. Really she was much calmer about the whole thing than Emmie was. Emmie was/is a bit traumatized and it took quite awhile to get her calmed down.
So we went to bed thinking Ellie was just fine...and then she woke up crying about her arm 3 times last night so I knew she needed to be checked out. (She was super pitiful when I woke her up. She got up, I got her dressed, and she laid back down with some ice on her arm and didn't move until we were ready to go.)
And then my friend Ashley saved my sanity.
I was supposed to have an OB appointment this morning and then Ashley and her girls were coming over to play. Ashley texted me about 7:15 and said she could come over and keep all the kids while I went to my appointment if I wanted her to. Y'all, that is a good friend to volunteer to watch 5 kids all 5 and under! Since I now had Ellie's arm to deal with too I ended up getting Ellie an appointment right after mine so I dropped Emmie off at Ashley's house to play and took Ruthie and Ellie to the appointments. (I was pretty sure Ruthie would freak out if I left her for who knows how long.)
After waiting 45 minutes to see the OB (they were short a doctor today) I ended up having to reschedule because we had to get to Ellie's appointment.
The pediatrician checked Ellie out and he was with me thinking that it was probably just a sprain or bruised but since she fell from so high it would be a good idea to get xrays. He was pretty confident that based on how little pain she seemed to be in that it wasn't fractured.
So we headed to get xrays. Ellie was fascinated by the whole idea of the xray although she was a bit nervous since I had to stand behind the wall and couldn't stay beside her. Apparently Curious George had to have an xray in a recent episode they watched so she was pretty much an xray expert. She kept talking about the really big camera.

Panda held her hand since Mommy couldn't.

After the xrays the radiologist came in and looked at her arm and he also couldn't believe that she was so stoic. He felt like based on what he was seeing she should be acting like she was hurting a lot more. He diagnosed her with a small buckle fracture which is a pretty common type of fracture in children and fortunately heals quickly. She is little but she is tough!
After the xray we headed to pick Emmie up since we were waiting for the pediatrician to call with an ortho appointment. While we were picking her up they called with Ellie's appointment so we ran home, ate in about 20 minutes, and headed back out the door.
We saw the orthopedist and he talked about a cast and then said or we could do a splint. We quickly opted for the splint and then were on our way home...FINALLY! Ellie definitely felt much better after the splint was on which of course made Mommy happy! We follow back up in 3 weeks and after that she should be all healed up. After this appointment I was even more grateful for Ashley watching Emmie all morning. Emmie was a wild mess (and had gotten Ruthie wound up as well) by the time she sat in a little room for an hour and I was so glad that she hadn't had to sit in offices all day!


I do have to brag on my sweet Ellie Belly. She was soooo tough and such a trooper all day. The only time she cried at all today was when she tried to get in her car seat, forgetting that her wrist was hurt (I felt so bad for her). She waited through many appointments and had lots of people pressing on her wrist and never complained. Ellie is always tough...she's the kid who ends up really sick before we know she has more than a sniffle because she doesn't complain about feeling bad...she just keeps trucking along. This morning when I got her out of bed, I got her dressed and went to get her motrin and ice and when I came back she was back in bed and didn't move until we were ready to walk out the door. I knew she was really hurting but she was tough!


No comments:

Post a Comment