Wednesday, August 19, 2015

1st day of kindergarten

 
Today Emmie started kindergarten. It was a BIG day! She was very excited to be going to school and it helped that she had been at preschool with two of the girls in her class. I must say that Emmie did a lot better than her Mama! I may have shed a tear or two walking her in...but once she was dropped off I was fine. I might not survive two more days of walking her in though...I think carpool line will be much better for this hormonal mama!


After we dropped Emmie in her classroom the little girls and I stopped at the PTO's "boohoo" breakfast for kindergarten parents and had some muffins.



I will say that this Mama is not so excited about all these early mornings! I'm hoping that once school traffic settles down a bit and the girls get used to waking up earlier (it took me about 15 minutes to get the big girls out of bed this morning!) that I will be able to get a few more minutes of sleep!

When we picked Emmie up she was SO happy and SO excited to tell us all about her day. (I must say the carpool line ran super smoothly and quickly...I've heard horror stories about the first few weeks of school from other parents so I was expecting the worst.) She loved that they get to play outside twice and she was thrilled to get to eat in the cafeteria. She was so enamored with the whole cafeteria experience that she's going to get her lunch at school tomorrow...she'll probably get over that real quick! (Also I'm a little confused at how schools can serve chocolate milk and corndogs but they frown on bringing in cupcakes for your child's birthday...really?!) She was also very excited to show me the sweet craft they made for the parents based on the book The Kissing Hand.

Emmie was so proud of the green lighthouse (the school is the "beacons") that came home in her folder today. If you have a great day you get green, a red is bad, and yellow means you need to work harder tomorrow. (She explained it to me in great detail and gave me a report on the behavior of everyone in her class.)

A very sweet church friend had brought us dinner yesterday and we saved it to eat today. I loved having the extra time after school to spend with Emmie instead of fixing dinner. (Thanks Ann Forrest!)

I totally expected Emmie to be in meltdown mode after a long day at school but she was such a trooper and did really well all afternoon. It helped that the little girls had been with me all day so they weren't demanding my attention and I got to have some one on one time with Emmie.
Ellie got to have some one on one craft time with Mama while Ruthie was napping.
Emmie finally broke down at bedtime and kept crying and saying that she wanted to stay with me tomorrow. She was SOOOO tired. Normally I would be working on Saturday but when I filled out the schedule there weren't any openings so I'm off which I think is going to be VERY good for me and Emmie!

Overall this was an EXCELLENT first day of kindergarten for all of us. Everyone at the school was so welcoming and we can't wait to see what fun the school year holds!

PS. It really seems like yesterday that she was a newborn. Five and a half years go by fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment