Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Day in the Life

This past Friday Kelly's Show Us Your Life was "A Day in the Life" so even though I'm a few days late I thought I'd link up and tell you about today. It was a particularly humerous day!
Emmie woke up this morning before Paul left for work...sometime around 7 and when she came in my room she asked if she could cuddle with me. Who could say no to that? I keep thinking that in ten years she's not even going to want me to hug her (or acknowledge her in public!) let alone cuddle so she climbed up in the bed and snuggled with me until almost 8 when Ellie woke up. (I was shocked that Emmie laid there that long...usually she lasts about 2 minutes and then she's done.)
I got Ellie up and fixed the girls some homemade carrot muffins for breakfast (I'd fixed them the night before so all I had to do was heat them up...before you get to impressed!). After we ate I left them sweetly coloring at the table and jumped in the shower and that's when the day started to get wild. While I was in the shower Ellie came in and closed herself in the closet, fortunately her sister came and rescued her and they went back to innocently coloring (or so I thought). I got out of the shower, dressed, and dried my hair and went to the kitchen where they were sitting at the table...which was COVERED with salt and pepper. I also found an empty salt shaker. Lovely. Have you ever tried to get piles of salt and pepper off a table...pain.in.the.foot.  Apparently one had grabbed the salt and one the pepper and they'd gone to town.

(my empty salt shaker...sad)

So now we were running about 5 minutes late so I threw clothes on the girls....let Ellie wear her crocs that are a little too big and fall of her right foot constantly...should have fought that battle a little harder but I just didn't have the time.
We jumped in the car and headed over to the dentist. Emmie and Ellie both had appointments and it was Ellie's first time. We go to Ellis, Green, and Jenkins and just love them. The whole staff is wonderful and the office is super kid friendly. My salt and pepper shaker children reappeared as they raced back and forth across the very large lobby. There were toys and magazines but no, my children wanted to run around like lunatics....lovely. Emmie got her teeth cleaned first (she picked strawberry toothpaste in case you were wondering) and she did great. She was so excited to go to the dentist and I LOVE that! Ellie did really well letting them clean her teeth (she wanted strawberry toothpaste too) but was not thrilled when they tried to look at her molars or when Dr. Amy came to look at her teeth. But overall I think she did really well for a 19mo old. The girls both got a goody bag so they were thrilled with that.






After the dentist we swung by Sherwin Williams to get paint samples. The salt and pepper kids once again came out as I turned around from looking at paint and Emmie was halfway up a ladder. SERIOUSLY! As soon as I pulled her down and banished her to a chair to sit for the remainder of our visit I turned back around and Ellie was trying to climb the ladder. Lovely.
After prying my children off the ceiling at SW we headed to Publix where they acted like the well behaved children they normally are. Thank goodness!
We then headed to Stride Rite to look at spring/summer shoes for the girls. Paul took them to get sized this weekend (I was planning to order their shoes online) and all Emmie could talk about when I got home was these princess shoes she'd seen. Well as soon as she found out we were headed to Stride Rite she started up talking about the princess shoes again. My plan was to look at them and then find something similar for a lot cheaper so I prepped Emmie on the fact that we might not buy the shoes. I am always impressed by how easy going she is if you tell her she can't have something. She generally just says ok and goes about her business. We got to Stride Rite and she ran straight to the shoes she wanted. They were these super adorable flip flops but they were way more than I was going to pay for flip flops. BUT Stride Rite was having a buy one get one 50% off sale and since we only needed one pair of shoes I went ahead and got them for a much more reasonable price. Funny story...Paul had been trying to describe them to me and had been failing miserably (we went from a sandal to a mary jane to a peep toe). This is the shoe Emmie went staright to when we got in the store.


so cute!

Paul now claims that wasn't the shoe she'd originally picked out. :) He says he'd know a flip flop.
After Stride Rite we headed home and unloaded the groceries and I popped in a pizza for lunch. Apparently my children don't love pizza. I think they missed some kid gene, especially Emmie. Emmie is my kid that asks for a second servings of peas (gag) and when I told her last week at the grocery store that she could pick one special treat she picked applesauce. She ate about 2 bites of pizza...she did devour her color goldfish so I guess she didn't miss out on the kid gene completely! While the girls ate lunch I had to email Paul to get him to call my phone...I hadn't been able to find it since I talked to his mom the night before. Fortunately I found the phone under all my Tot Trade stuff...plus I got to vent to him about his wild children!
After lunch it was nap time. Before naps I sucked Ellie's nose out good....it always makes me feel good to get all the snot out...even though it makes her really mad...I think it's the peds nurse in me...poor Ellie!

yucky nose Ellie

 Both my girls went right to sleep for which I was very grateful because I really needed a nap. I slept HARD for an  hour...usually when I nap I don't sleep too hard but I was worn out (I'm back to the having trouble getting to sleep at night thing...no fun and eventually I'm going to have to give up my nap in order to fix the problem but the way my girls were acting today I needed that nap...it was survival of the fittest at our house!)
After naps the girls got dressed (they like to wear pjs at naptime) and pulled out their jewelry and sunglasses and worked on their modeling poses. Haha! I had to prompt Emmie a little but Ellie was totally doing it on her own...I just wanted a picture of her in all her finery!



I love the pouty lips...hilarious!


Look who's hair is long enough for a little ponytail! So cute!


I think she really resembles Paul in this picture.

We then headed out for walks and I'd bundled us all up because it had been chilly in the morning and it looked super nasty outside but it was actually kind of warm! A quite pleasant suprise! After our walk we played in the yard for a bit and had a lot of fun blowing bubbles (one of Emmie's favorite things).

Sweet girls playing in the sandbox.

When we came inside I worked on my Secret Sewing Project while the girls watched an Elmo DVD and pulled out all the toys upstairs. Lovely.
After working on the SSP and picking up ALL the upstairs toys upstairs I fixed the girls a fruit salad and yogurt for dinner (with a side of asparagus)...I figure it balanced out the pizza and goldfish they'd had for lunch! While I was fixing dinner Ellie managed to close herself in upstairs. Lovely. I wonder if after doing that to herself twice in one day she'll learn to stop closing doors?
After dinner we read for a bit and then I got the girls bathed. We have some J&J Vick's bath stuff that I've been using to try to help Ellie and it works like a bubble bath so the girls have LOVED that. I also brought out the bubbles today and they thought that was just great! Paul got home after bathtime and helped me get the girls in bed. While trying to get them in bed I was working on making shrimp pasta for Paul and me and I put Paul to work cutting the asparagus while I was putting Ellie down. I came out and he had the asparagus pieces lined up perfectly. He's such an engineer.  I told him he needed to cut faster and he told me it was hard with a little one running around (Emmie was still up). I busted out laughing...welcome to how I cook dinner every night! I put Emmie down and then came out and jumbled up the asparagus...I just couldn't help myself!
It was so nice to have an adult meal. We had our shrimp pasta and a glass of wine and enjoyed the quiet. Er...wait..no it wasn't quiet...we spent the whole meal getting up and consoling small children. Oh well, we tried! After dinner we melted down some chocolate and made chocolate covered strawberries...so much fun and delicious! I was super glad I had watched all those episodes of Chopped so I knew how to properly melt chocolate!
So, that's a day in my life. It's wild and crazy but I wouldn't trade it for the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment