Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A bit of excitement

So this morning should have been a quick, uneventful trip to the doctor. Of course miss Ellie thinks uneventful if boring. We headed to the doctor this morning to get Ellie's ears rechecked and as long as her ears looked fine we would get her 1yr old shots. Her ears checked out fine so we were all set to get shots.
This is where I will back up quite a few months. On Easter Sunday I went upstairs at my mom's house to change Ellie's diaper and she was really tired and really mad and when I went to change her diaper she held her breath...until she turned a little blue around her mouth! Ever since then she has done the holding her breath thing a few times a week. She does it when she gets really mad or if she gets hurt. Usually I can blow in her face, say her name loudly or rub her chest or back and she'll take a breath. Often she turns blueish purple but that's it and I'm just kind of used to it now. She's even done it a few times at the doctor's office, in front of the doctor.
So back to today...the nurse came in to give her the shots (4..yikes!). As soon as she stuck the first one in Ellie started holding her breath. No big deal. Four shots later she was still holding her breath and looking very blue. I quickly picked her up and she gave one little cry and her eyes rolled back in her head and she went limp. Miss Priss PASSED OUT! For the next few minutes she was really lethargic and she'd open her eyes and they'd roll back in her head again. It was the strangest thing I have ever experienced as a mom. Of course the nurse in me takes charge and tells the nurse giving the shots (who I'm pretty sure was brand new but she was super sweet) that I think we need to check a pulse ox (that's the little glowing light on your finger that checks your oxygen level to all the nonmedical people. Her oxygen level was fine so my heart rate went down a little. The nurse told me we would definitely need to stay for a while and she went to get Ellie a cup of water while I took Emmie to the potty. Ellie was sooo pale. While Emmie was finishing up in the bathroom Ellie lifted her head up and started talking a little. Her doctor was in another room when all this happened so by the time he got in the room Ellie had perked up quite a bit but was still pretty pale...the nurse and I assured him that what he saw was a big improvement from a few minutes before! He wanted us to stay until her color was back so we were there about 10 more minutes at which point she was pretty much back to normal. The rest of the day was quite uneventful and the sweet nurse from the doctor's office called midday to check on Ellie and make sure she was still ok.
I definitely wasn't panicked when Ellie passed out but it did unnerve me quite a bit! She's been holding her breath for long enough that I knew one day she would pass out and I'm very glad that it happened at the doctor's office! We will definitely have to have a discussion before her next set of shots about breathing during shots...don't want to go through all that again!

No comments:

Post a Comment