Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Potty Training Attempt

So I'd set aside this week to try to potty train Emmie.  I went into the whole situation knowing it might not work because she's not quite 18 months.  One of the things I was most worried about was getting her to sit on the potty for longer than 10 seconds...about the longest she would ever sit on it when we were "playing" potty.  I was worried that she would rebel about having to sit on the potty for a few minutes and that it would turn the whole experience into one big temper tantrum.  Not so!  She did GREAT sitting on the potty and in fact was willing to sit there long past the amount of time I would have made her stay.  She was SOOOO emotionally ready to potty train...you could tell she WANTED to be a big girl.  Unfortunately, her body just wasn't physically ready to potty train.  After a day and a half of intense work we went back to the diapers.  She could tell me she had gone pee-pee and she knew she didn't want to go in her panties but she couldn't ever tell me ahead of time that she needed to go.  Also, in the mornings she would go about every 15 or 20 minutes for a few hours...sometimes just a little and sometimes a lot.  We will try again closer to her 2nd birthday.  I think that as soon as she's physically ready to potty train she'll be pretty easy...she definitely wants to go in the potty. 

I must say that through this experience I have once again seen what a sweet little girl Emmie is.  She was overall VERY cooporative and definitely wanted to try to do what I asked of her.  I was really afraid that the potty training would just be one big meltdown for her but she was a little trooper and only had a couple of very brief meltdowns...mostly related to being exhausted.  I must say that while the potty training didn't work this time I'm looking forward to trying again when she's physically ready....and when I'm not 8 1/2 months pregnant!

Some of the positives of potty training? 
I'm pretty sure the floor in the den wasn't this clean when they installed it...lots of lysol and clorox wipes on that floor yesterday and today! 
I have everything I need for meals for this week...and probably some for next week too since I wasn't sure how long we'd be stuck at the house.  Also, they're all EASY meals!
We pretty much have all week free to do nothing (except for Wednesday...that's our busy day!) so we might find something fun to do...I've heard the waterpark at Fort Jackson is great so we might go check it out one day...or we can just hang out at home and do nothing...we've been so busy lately that just putting my feet up sounds pretty nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment