Friday, April 2, 2010

A moment to reflect...

Today one of the sweetest, cutest patients that I have ever taken care of passed away.  This little boy was 7 and he had been in and out of the hospital since birth.  He had had multiple surgeries, had been stuck for IVs and blood work more times than anyone can count and had fought a great fight.  He was one of those patients that could make your day better just by smiling at you...he had the smile of an angel and big eyes that melted your heart.  His favorite thing to eat was noodles and cheese...he'd ask for them at every meal...and lots of cereal and chips...breakfast (and lunch and dinner) of champions! ;)  One of my favorite memories of him is from when I was about 7 months pregnant with Emmie.  He pointed to my belly and asked if that was a baby and when I said yes he gave me a hug and laid his head on Emmie.  It was incredibly sweet.  It was so sad for all of us to lose him but I'm comforted by the fact that I know he's in Heaven where he can run and play and will never suffer again. 
Everyday when I go to work I'm so thankful for my healthy baby but today I'm extra thankful.  I can't imagine what this little boy's family is going through.  Today I came home and gave my sweet Emmie an extra hug and kiss and said a little prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment