Monday, August 4, 2014

Charlotte

This past week Paul had a conference in Charlotte for a few days so I decided to tag along. This was the first time since Emmie was 11 months old that we have gone somewhere overnight by ourselves (and I was about 8 weeks pregnant with Ellie at the time and was exhausted so I pretty much slept the whole time).  Charlotte was a bit of an odd place for a getaway (but it was nice because we were only an hour from home so I knew I could get home quickly if I needed to) and the excursions we were supposed to do while we were there got cancelled and it rained pretty much the whole time we were there but we still had a lot of fun and enjoyed our "us" time.
Wednesday night we went to the opening reception for the conference. It was a "carnival" theme and so all the ladies got headbands with balloon animals on them so Mr. Snail hung out with me throughout the reception ;)

After the reception we went to dinner at McCormick and Schmicks with some of Paul's coworkers and their spouses and had a wonderful time and are waaaay too much delicious food. Everyone else was from the Duncan office so these are people that I only see once or twice a year so it was really fun to visit!
Thursday I met up with my friend's Kristy and Jessica while Paul was doing his thing. Jessica lives in Charlotte and Kristy was up there for a quilting convention and staying with Jessica so Jessica and I tagged along to the convention and we all ended up leaving with a new project (and I love the pattern Kristy picked up...I'm going to have to make a new quilt soon I think!).
My new project...a Christmas quilt!
Kristy is a bit of a foodie so I always know that when I hang out with her I'm going to eat well! We had breakfast at Hazelnut Creperie and I had a delicious Nutella and strawberry crepe. After the convention we went to Viva Chicken, and had Peruvian food for lunch. I had the Viva Chicken Salad and it was excellent and I had the Passion Fruit Punch to drink...delicious! I also tasted the Quinoa Stuffed Avocado which was also really good.
After they dropped me back at the hotel I pretty much just hung out and read for the rest of the afternoon. That evening Paul and I went to the WORST Wild Wings ever for dinner...oh well.
Friday I was planning to go sit outside on the deck but it was raining so after a second trip to Hazelnut Creperie I ended up just hanging around the room and reading (I read a whole trilogy while we were gone...The Selection series...really good, easy reads.) I was also planning on sleeping in Friday morning but my internal clock woke me up at 8am..grr.
After Paul finished up his conference stuff we went and met our friend Meagan for lunch. We went to King's Kitchen . You should click the link and read about their mission...really neat! Not only is the whole concept behind the restaurant awesome but the food was really, really good too!
That afternoon we took naps and then went to a reception where we picked up a bag full of swag for the girls :) After the reception we went with some of Paul's coworkers to a Charlotte Knights baseball game. It was kind of chilly for August but we still had fun!
Saturday morning I slept in until 10 (woo hoo!). It was delightful and the first time in a very long time that I have slept that late. I got up and got ready, packed up, and read until Paul was done with the conference. We then headed back to Columbia! We had a lot of fun and enjoyed some time together but I sure did miss my little girls! My mom kept the girls and I think they had a really good time and my mom survived 4 days with the wild ones! (Emmie and Ellie even told my mom that they would let her come back again...so nice of them!) The girls were nice to my mom and slept pretty well at night and Ruthie was agreeable about taking her bottles...all these things make life much easier!




No comments:

Post a Comment