Monday, September 15, 2014

Back in the swing of things

We are now almost done with our second full week of our school year activities. The big girls have had two full weeks of school, choir started at church for Emmie, they both had dance, and we had Wednesday night church. I was a little concerned about it being too much, especially for Emmie but all the girls have adapted very well. I think Emmie especially has enjoyed being back in a predictable routine...although she is quite tired by dinner time!
Emmie seems to be enjoying school. I haven't been able to get too much out of her about what she does at school but she seems to be having lots of fun! I know she plays "mommy and daddy" sometimes and there are apparently some little girls who play the "sisters"...Emmie of course is the Mommy. Last Thursday Emmie's teacher told me she was doing really well and was definitely one of the leaders in the class...no surprise there! Emmie is always telling me about different friends she's played with and seems to have made lots of new friends. On Tuesday and Thursday when I picked them up, Emmie was so excited to tell me that she saw Ellie on the playground (apparently Emmie is going out when Ellie is going in). Emmie was really sad when she realized she wouldn't see Ellie while they were at school so I think this has helped her a lot.
Emmie has done a great job getting dressed and making her bed every morning. After breakfast she and Ellie go brush their teeth and then we've usually had a few minutes for them to play before heading to school. I've loved, loved, loved not being rushed getting out the door...we've gotten to school early every day (except today when we had to wait 6 minutes for the moving train to go by...longest train ever)! It really helps that Emmie is completely independent in the morning (she often even fixes her own breakfast...I just have to pour her milk!) and Ellie is pretty independent for someone that just turned 3!
Ellie has LOVED school. She has been ready to. Go since Emmie went last year and school has definitely lived up to her expectations! Everyday she gets in the car and talks all the way home about every minute of her day. I love her enthusiasm! Ellie is starting to accept that she only gets to go to school on Tuesday and Thursday....she would be more than happy to go every day. She told me last Wednesday when we were getting ready to go to school that her back was cold. When I asked her what she needed for it she said "my backpack"! I have loved having Ellie home to play with Ruthie! Emmie tends to dominate any playing the girls do so it's nice for Ellie to get to have some time alone with Ruthie. I think Ruthie is learning that Ellie is always up to something FUN! Ellie also enjoys getting to play with all the toys by herself but she'd better enjoy it now because Ruthie is getting more and more interested in what the big girls are playing with!
Ruthie, as always, has seamlessly adjusted to our new routine. When it comes to fitting seamlessly into family life, Ruthie definitely takes the prize. All she asks is that she gets a good afternoon nap. I get Ruthie up between 7:50 and 8 every morning (if she's not already awake) which has worked out well because she normally wakes up sometime between 7:30 and 8. I get her fed, dressed and out the door to school by 8:40. We generally come home from school and take Franklin for a walk and then do chores around the house or play. Sometimes Ruthie will take a nap around 10:30 but I prefer for her to stay awake so that she will take a power nap in the carpool line. She's NOT a fan of sitting in the carpool line but she is getting better about it. I think my favorite part of the day is when we get home from picking Emmie and Ellie (on T/Th) up and Ruthie realizes that she gets to play with her big sisters! She gets sooo excited! Ruthie has been really agreeable about getting lunch about 30 minutes later than normal.
On Sunday nights Emmie has choir so last week Paul took her and Ellie to church (so the nursery workers didn't have to be subjected to mad Ruthie). Ellie LOVES to go play in the church nursery with her friends. Emmie seemed to have a great first night of choir and I know she's going to love it! I helped in choir this week and was so impressed...Emmie is going to learn sooo much this year! They split the kids into 3 groups and rotate through snack, rhythm, and the a "theory" type class where this week they used handbells, talked about octaves, and played songs on the handbells using "do, re, mi" format...very sound of music. 
Wednesday night Emmie has catechism class and last week they recited the first 5 questions one on one with their teachers. Emmie did great and I've been amazed at how quick she's learning them and because we practice them at home Ellie has learned most of them too! Last Wednesday night the score was Ruthie:1 Nursery:0. I think Ruthie lasted about 10minutes but the class I'm going to is in an auditorium and there's a little sitting room behind it so Ruthie and I sat back there and she could crawl around and play and I could still hear the speaker...win, win! The nursery is really hard for Ruthie on Wednesday night because she's so tired and there are different workers than on Sunday (she has pretty much the same ones every Sunday and is starting to do better). So our new Wednesday night plan is for her to sit in the back of the class with me...Ruthie even had a friend to play with back there this week! This week I started Bible Study on Wednesday morning and I was really worried about how Ruthie would do in the nursery as it was nap time but she did great (ate a lot of Cheerios but whatever keeps her happy!).
I think we're off to a great start to the school year and I can tell it's going to be a fun year!

No comments:

Post a Comment