Sunday, April 6, 2014

Quilts

I finished Emmie and Ellie's quilts last weekend. Making two twin size quilts is a LOT of work!
I did make sure to document the steps as I went so I could share the process with everyone!

So last October I picked my fabric and ordered it. I spent a lot of time scouring the internet for fabric patterns and finally found the RIGHT one. I used Scrumptious by Bonnie and Camille. I really loved this fabric because of the aqua color. I used the fireworks pattern by Camille Roskelley. My friend Kristy was great as she would send me pictures of different patterns and links to fabric she thought I might like.


Once I had my fabric I spent A LOT of time cutting out fabric. I had to cut out hundreds of little squares and rectangles.
Once I had everything cut out I had to decide which fabrics to put together. I spread them all out in the dinning room and paired them up. I LOVED this step. After I had them all matched up I recruited Paul to check and make sure they all looked good. He was a great sport about the whole thing.


Next it was time to start sewing. Unfortunately, I was only able to sew for a few weeks before I started having back pain when I would sew for extended periods of time. I also had a lot of trouble with my hands and feet swelling when I would sew. (I was about 32 weeks pregnant when I started the sewing part.) So I very slowly finished my squares. Then after Ruthie was born I became a sewing maniac. I was determined to get the quilts done while I was on maternity leave. (I finished piecing them together a few weeks before I went back.)
The very first square I finished! The squares were 16.5x16.5...huge!
 
After I finished all the squares I had to decide which ones to put on which quilt and how to arrange them within the quilt. Each quilt had 20 squares so this was quite the undertaking and involved lots of rearranging. Paul was recruited to help with this job as well....he's such a good sport.
 
Quilt #1

Quilt #2

Once I had my quilts pieced together I had to coordinate with Kristy and Paul to find a time when I could go quilt at Kristy's house while Paul kept the girls. Fortunately I was able to get the quilting done in 3 "sessions" at Kristy's. She was so great helping me come up with designs for the quilting and I LOVE how the quilts turned out!
Love Kristy's machine!






I especially loved the quilting pattern on the border.
 

The girls were so excited when I brought the quilts home. Emmie claimed the first one and Ellie was so sweet and patient waiting for her quilt. I just love sewing for the girls because they are so appreciative of anything I make them. I think the best compliment I got through this whole process was when I took Ellie her finished quilt and she sprawled across it and said "you did a good job"!
Emmie's quilt

Ellie's quilt

 

I picture of the backing fabric...I love it!

Kristy is already trying to get me to plan my next project but I think I'll take a nice long break! By the way, if you're in need of a baby quilt, Kristy sells them and she has some beautiful fabric right now. (I drool over her sewing room every time I'm over there...her fabric selection is better than the store's!) Her quilting is also gorgeous...she's super talented! If you're interested in a Kristy quilt let me know and I'll get you in touch with her!

No comments:

Post a Comment