Friday, February 21, 2014

rain, sleet, snow, freezing rain, and earthquakes...oh my!

We had a wintery MESS last week. Tuesday morning we woke up to a rain, sleet, and snow mix and we would go from nothing to snow showers to everything in between in a period of just a few minutes...it was crazy! The big debate was if we were going to school that morning. It was Emmie's turn to be "top turtle" which is a really big deal when you're 4 so I wanted to try to make it to school. I've lived in South Carolina my whole life so I'm well aware that I don't know how to drive on slick roads and more imporantely I'm aware that most of the other drivers have no clue how to drive in rain let along snow (if you ever want to hear a tirade ask me about people driving in the rain...there are lots of drivers who seem to have no clue what to do when stuff falls from the sky!). I definitely don't mess around when it comes to the safety of my babies so I wasn't so sure about getting on the road with crazy people and then when we went to get in the car there was a really heavy snow shower so I nixed the school idea and brought my brokenhearted top turtle back inside. I knew that as soon as we got to school we'd have to turn around and go home. And then two minutes later I looked out the window and there was NOTHING coming down..this weather was crazy! So I loaded up the girls and my little top turtle got to go to school...and we were all happy. They ended up having early dismissal that day and the girls went and played outside as soon as we got home. We got a small amount of snow that day but everytime it snowed it came down in big, beautiful flakes...it looked like a snowglobe outside...gorgeous!

The next morning as the next system moved in we got LOTS of sleet. It think when all was said and done we ended up with about 2.5in of snow/sleet mixture and at least a 1/2in of ice. Emmie had sooo much fun playing outside...I think she would have stayed outside all day if we'd let her! Ellie would go out for a few minutes at a time but as soon as she got a little wet or fell in the snow she was done. She does not like to be cold and it was REALLY cold out! I was so worried about our power going out with all the ice so we ate lots of big, hot meals on Wednesday in case the power went out and we were stuck eating sandwiches and cereal! We fixed a big breakfast on Wednesday morning and enjoyed a yummy crockpot meal on Wednesday night courtesy of our friend Carissa who helped stock our freezer after Ruthie was born. We were lucky and Columbia missed most of the freezing rain which is what was causing all the power outages so we never lost power...with 3 children under 5, one of whom is a newborn, I was so thankful that we stayed warm! One of the upsides of snow days is that we get lots of family time which is wonderful and the girls just love all the extra Daddy time!
They went out in their pajamas first because they just couldn't wait!








Then we had an earthquake on Friday night. Everybody at my house missed it but people right down the street felt it...crazy!

1 comment:

  1. The weather last week was definitely crazy! We missed 4 days of school and I must say I was not upset. ;) I was, however, glad that we were able to travel on Friday. Glad that you all were able to enjoy the snow and stay warm! Lana :)

    ReplyDelete