Friday, July 2, 2010

Plants

Anyone who knows me knows that I have a lot of issues keeping plants alive.  One great example of this is when we moved in the people who lived her before us had planted a beautiful hydrangea...it is MASSIVE and absolutely beautiful!  I decided that I would plant another one right beside the one that was already there...after all, that one was doing so well that I knew the new one would be in the right soil and get the right amount of sun.  Well, three hydrangeas and two years later I FINALLY was successful at keeping one alive.  I was soooo excited this year when my little hydrangea came back (no blooms yet this year on that one but lots of green leaves)!  The people before us had planted a lily in the bed right outside the kitchen window and it has very pretty blooms on it every year.  I've tried to plant many different things in that bed but have been VERY  VERY unsucessful.  Well, last year I said "hey, the only thing that has lived so far is a lily so I'm going to plant another one".  I went and bought one at the store and planted it and a few weeks later the leaves feel off and all I was left with was a brown stick in the ground.  I just had this feeling that maybe it was still alive (it looked like a healthy stick) so I left it alone.  Sure enough this summer it got lots of green on it and the other day I went outside and found this...I was sooo excited...I think this is one of the pretties lillies I've ever seen! (but perhaps I'm just partial because I slaved so much over my stick)

On a side note my garden that I planted this year is doing really well...yay!  Although I think it's starting to fry from the crazy hot weather we've been having...I went out there the other day and the ground was really moist but the plants looked dry...or like they'd been fried....hmm...we'll see what happens with that.  Now if I can only keep the squirrels away from the tomatoes...they like to get them when they're about 2 or 3 days away from being ripe...grrrrrrrrrr.  Sounds like a job for Franklin.

No comments:

Post a Comment