Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Ahh...blessed silence...

Emmie has been sleeping in her crib at night since we brought her home from teh hospital. Every night since then we have fought "the battle of bedtime". Emmie does not like being put in the crib. She will sleep in her swing or bouncer with no problem but not so with the crib. From day 1 she has been doing battle with the crib. Our nighttime routine for the first 7 weeks of her life was feed baby, rock baby to sleep, put baby in crib...eyes immediately pop open, mouth pops open, loud screams come out of mouth. At first we were good at just letting her cry it out and she would go to sleep after a bit. Then she started spitting up a lot in her crib and I found that was a good excuse to go pick her up (she MAY have spit up so I should go check on her and since I went and checked on her I guess I should just pick her up and rock her back to sleep which took all of 2 min because she really was tired...after which the previous cycle would start over). It was starting to take HOURS to get her to sleep after her bedtime feed and I decided a week or two ago that I really needed to get better about letting her cry it out...she had definitely picked up on the fact that if she cried we would come get her. So the last week or so we have been listening to screaming every night at bedtime...not so much fun. Sunday night it finally paid off! I put Emmie in her crib and she fussed for oh...about 5 min and then SILENCE...so much better than the hour long off and on crying we had been dealing with. I thought perhaps it was just because she'd had a big evening (we'd gone over to someone's house to watch the superbowl for a bit). Then last night I put her down and she cried for about 2 min and then SILENCE. Tonight she didn't even fuss at all...woo hoo! We have finally arrived..she and the crib have apparently worked out some kind of mutual respect!

No comments:

Post a Comment