Monday, December 17, 2018

Happy Birthday Emmie!

That short hair is because you donated your hair this year! You decided to do this because you saw a video about it and you wanted to help someone else. I was so proud of you and your dedication to growing out your hair and helping someone else!


 

Dear Emmie,

Today you are 9 years old! It's hard to believe that next year we will have a child in double digits! Sometimes I look at you and wonder where my little round fluffy toddler went and where this tall, beautiful girl came from! You look more grown up every day and it feels like time is passing so quickly!  I have loved watching you grow up. I have so many wonderful memories of you as a baby and toddler and I have enjoyed making memories with you as you have gotten older. You are a great age to do things like go to plays or go out to eat at a nice restaurant and I treasure the (rare) moments when it is just you and me. I love that you still want to hold my hand and snuggle with me.

This year has been a really tough year in school. On top of your seizures you were also diagnosed with adhd and a math learning disability this year and you have also struggled with a lot of anxiety. School has been a big learning curve too. This year you went from a teacher that you had for 2 years to a new teacher with new friends in your class. This is the first year you haven't had your best friend Evelyn in your class and that has been really hard too. And we went from second grade where you only get grades in Math and English to also getting grades in Science and Social Studies. All of that is a lot to adjust to in a very short amount of time (and we KNOW you don't do change!). There have been many, many tears (from you AND me!) and many, many hours of laboring over school assignments. We made lots of adjustments in the classroom this year in order to help you focus better and I have been so proud of how well you have learned to communicate with me when something isn't working for you.

Through all the ups and downs in school, I have been so proud of you. I wish other people could see how much extra work you do at home in order to process and be able to apply all that is being taught at school. You are a Rockstar and I am SO proud of your hard work. When you had your 24hr EEG this summer the neurologist said you had so many seizures in the morning that he didn't know how you could even function in the morning. But you do! Yes, sometimes getting out the door is a struggle for you in the morning and sometimes I have to follow you around and help remind you what you are supposed to be doing but one way or the other you make it out the door on time in the morning.  And you were able to go to school and function. I know sometimes you get frustrated and get down on yourself because everything seems so hard and confusing but I hope one day you look back and are proud of everything you have overcome.

This year has been exciting because it seems that we have recently gotten your seizures under control (which has helped immensely with that whole getting out the door in the morning thing!). It has been a long, hard year of switching meds, dealing with and learning to manage new side effects, and trying to accept that we might just have to be satisfied with "good enough" when it came to seizure control. But then we tried a new medication. A medication with some scary side effects that the doctor had been against trying until after he saw your 24hr EEG. I had very little hope that it would work. Amazingly it did! I KNOW you must feel better overall not having seizures all the time! I have prayed so hard that we could get better control of your seizures and am incredibly thankful for this respite for you.

I constantly marvel at your sweet, loving personality. You seem to have a sixth sense for knowing when someone is hurting or needs a little extra love, especially adults. You give wonderful hugs and you give them to everyone! You brighten so many days because you take the time to give a hug to those who need it. I love how outgoing you are. You love to talk to people and find out all about them. One of my favorite stories from this year was when I went to vote and the poll manager was on crutches and you asked him if he was ok. He then proceeded to tell you all about his hip replacement surgery and all about the hip joint. You listened to every word he said. The love you have for people and their stories is simply amazing. I hope as you get older that you recognize this gift you have and choose a career that will allow you to bless others with your gift of caring.

Emmie, I can't wait to see what adventures the next year brings you! I love you sweet baby girl!
2017

2016

2015

2014

2013

2012
2011
2010


No automatic alt text available.
2009

No comments:

Post a Comment