Wednesday, February 15, 2017

The sweet things

Today I had the following conversation with Ellie in the car.
Ellie: Mom, do you know what kind of cow the chick-fil-a cow is?
Me: No idea.
Ellie: It's a Holstein. That's a dairy cow. Do you know how I know that?
Me: I have no idea. (Because I didn't even know how to spell Holstein and have proven many times that I am a city girl through and through.)
Ellie: Mrs. Boswell told me. (That's her teacher.) Do you know why I want to be a teacher?
Me: Why?
Ellie: So that I can learn interesting things and teach them to children.

I love her.



On Wednesday nights we have small group at church. Ruthie comes with me because she is opposed to the nursery. Tonight at the end we were praying and Ruthie came and sat on the floor beside me and after a minute or two I looked at her and she was sitting there with her hands folded listening quietly. It absolutely melted my heart.


Yesterday was a rough day. Here's a brief synopsis in case you missed my facebook post.

A day in the life: Woke up at 6:20 to Ruthie yelling across the house for me to come help her in the bathroom. Got her resituated in bed and JP woke up. He was NOT interested in going back to sleep. Then tried to be fun mom and gave the kids heart doughnuts for valentines and Emmie spent half of breakfast and the whole ride to school upset because her stomach hurt. Made it to the Y for cycling. Came home and took a shower. All I can hear when I get out is JP hitting his block... very loudly on something. I wasn't sure what. Fortunately it was just his slide. Then I go into the den and see that he has dumped his water all.over.the.floor. and then walked through the water. Then I turn around and discover that he has also pulled all the baskets off of the fireplace and scattered their contents across the floor (I have a basket for each child where I place things throughout the day that they need to put up in their rooms.). Then he spread a few handfuls of the rocks in the fireplace across the floor. Got all that cleaned up. Fed everyone lunch. Played a few rounds of Hi Ho Cherry-O with Ruthie. Laid down for a nap. Got about an hour and JP woke up (shortening his nap by an hour). Picked up the girls, went to dance, picked up pizza for dinner, got stuck in traffic on the way home so got home about 20min later than normal. Got children fed. Finished Ellie's homework with her. Got everyone changed and read to. Tucked the littles into bed. Finished homework with Emmie.Tucked her into bed. Ate chocolate.

Then last night, after my chocolate, I got in bed. Emmie had left a Valentine under everyone's pillow the night before. I had pulled mine out and set it on my bedside table but hadn't really looked at it. Well, last night I finally got around to reading it. Totally made my day. This girl has the sweetest, kindest heart and loves to make other people happy. Her note was EXACTLY what I needed at the end of the day.
Image may contain: text






No comments:

Post a Comment