Thursday, January 30, 2014

How to have a Snow Day

We had so, so much fun during our snow day on Wednesday. We all loved having Paul home from work and we definitely made the most of our unplanned family day!
After breakfast we suited up and went and played in the snow (see the previous post for pics and details). We then came in and had some delicious hot chocolate and Paul ran to the store to get some necessities: butter to make cookies, pizza for dinner, and more milk (yes, I'd bought milk on Monday but between 2 little girls drinking it with every meal, eating cereal, and making hot chocolate we were starting to run low...next snow day I might be the crazy milk-buying lady everyone at the store talks about!). We had a late lunch and a lazy afternoon: Ellie napped, Paul did some work, and Emmie, Ruthie, and I took Franklin for a walk and checked out all the snow in the neighbor's yards and then when we got back I worked on the girl's quilts (I have to make 40 "big blocks" that are then sewn together to make the quilts and I have 3 left...should be done with the big blocks by Saturday!) while Emmie played and Ruthie napped. After naptime Paul and the big girls went back out to play while I measured out all the ingredients for making oatmeal chocolate chip cookies!

Ellie didn't last too long outside (too cold!) but Emmie and Paul had the BEST time. They chased each other all over the yard and finished with a snowball fight (Emmie clearly won!). They had so much fun and I just love watching Paul play with the girls...he's such a good girl dad!




I finally convinced them to come inside and the girls and I worked on making our cookies. We had so much fun and I must say it was really nice to already have everything measured out and ready to go for them. They were really funny because I tried to give them a little bite of cookie dough after we finished and Emmie WOULD NOT taste it...I think it was too messy looking for her! I finally convinced Ellie to take a bite and she liked it but definitely wasn't as excited about eating cookie dough as Paul and I were. Sometimes I think I have very strange children.



While the cookies baked we ate our pizza and then we of course sampled our delicious cookies...they were a hit (although Ellie was almost too tired to eat hers)!



At bedtime we read A LOT of books since it was a special day and the girls LOVED that as we have a very strict 1 book per child at bedtime policy, otherwise we'd be there all night reading.

When we got in bed last night Paul and I agreed that we had a WONDERFUL day with our girls. These are the days that make lasting memories and I loved every minute of the time we got to spend together!

No comments:

Post a Comment