Sunday, December 17, 2023

Dear Emerson




Dear Emerson, 

Happy 14th Birthday! 

I have absolutely LOVED watching you grow this year (and not just in height!). You have gained so much confidence. I think you can finally see what we've been telling your for years: that you are so talented and have so many gifts and not all of these talents and gifts are things that they test you on in school but they are things that will serve you SO well in life! I feel like you are starting to try to figure out who you are as a person, who you want to become and how you want to fit into your world. You have taken on some big leadership roles and have worked to grow as a leader. You are on yearbook this year and have really enjoyed doing that. It's been fun to see you learn some new skills and see how those skills can translate into the real world!

This year I feel like you've grown leaps and bounds with your school work. You have figured out a way to organize your work and keep up with assignments. I am so thankful to all those teachers along the way who went the extra mile and gave you tools to help you get to where you are today. Some of those teachers gave you organizational skills, some helped you academically and helped us find the tools that would help you learn, and some gave you confidence in your abilities and encouraged you when you struggled. I know that school has often been difficult and has often made you feel so down on yourself. I have seen you break down and I have seen you pick yourself back up and keep trying. I know that school still isn't easy for you but I see that you have taken all those struggles and used all those lessons you've learned to make things a little easier. You have really become so independent with your school work and I hope you are as proud of yourself as we are of you! 

You have found some great friends and I'm so grateful for that. I also love that you are still friends with your besties from Columbia. Those girls went through so much with you and their friendship never wavered. I am so glad you know what a true friend looks like and I hope as you grow older that you area able to use that experience to pick great friends. I know friendships at this age aren't always easy but hang in there. It really does get better the more life experience you have! 

I love watching you with your siblings. You and Ellie, with your completely opposite personalities, have always gotten along pretty well. And JP has always viewed you as his other mother. You and Ruthie have often clashed because you're both sure you're the oldest child. This year I've really seen your relationship with Ruthie change. I think you can finally see that she absolutely hero worships you and you will let her hang out in your room and you don't mind too much when she wants to copy you. I hope you realize just how wonderful she thinks you are!

This year you have continued year round swim. You always swam on the high school team for the first time. You have really grown a lot in your swimming and I am so proud of you. You had some breathing issues after having the flu last year and then had a minor shoulder injury. Both of those kind of slowed you down and affected your motivation. Then you did high school swim and it totally changed your perspective and you faced some hard truths and learned a big lesson on "you get out what you put in". I am so proud of you for facing the hard and being willing to listen to the improvements you needed to make to get better. 

Emerson Jane, 14 years ago you made me a mom. I held you in my arms and had no clue what life held in store for you but I knew that I loved you more than I could have ever imagined and that nothing could ever change that. I am so thankful for all you have taught me. I'm thankful for the hard times just as much as I'm thankful for the easy times. I have loved seeing you grow as a person and I can't wait to see what the next year holds for you! I know it won't always be easy but I hope you are always able to look behind you and see how you have faced adversity and come out on the other side a stronger person. I hope you always remember that God has a wonderful plan for your life even when it can be hard to see what His plan is!

I love you sweet girl!

Love, 

Mom

PS. In other news, Franklin seems to have forgiven you for pulling his fur when you were 8 months old. The other night he slept in your bed all night! 




No comments:

Post a Comment